Eagle Lake Fishing Regulations
California Fishing Regulations for Eagle Lake’s fishing season is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend to the last day in February beginning 2021 season.
CATCH AND KEEP RECOMMENDATION HAS BEEN POSTED
1) legal fishing time is “one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset”. Sunrise and sunset times are posted on the Weather page.
2) Daily limit of two trout and one person can only have four in possession (for two days of fishing). If you have retained your possession you cannot go out and keep two more trout on the third fishing day as that would be over-possession unless you have consumed your first limit. You can’t claim you are fishing for tui chub as they are not a game fish species. Canned and/or smoked trout DO count towards your possession. Also, transporting more fish than you have people in your vehicle isn’t going to cut it. Transporting fish for other people is not an option even if their names and license numbers are on the fish.
3) No minnows can be used as bait, including minnows caught in the lake itself.
4) No trout can be kept in a live condition in a live well. And, you can’t continue to catch and release if you have retained your limit.
5) No fishing inside the jetty rocks at Eagle Lake Marina. Signs may not be adequate but actually don’t even have to be there. It is posted in the CDFG Sport fishing Regulations so not seeing the signs is no excuse! Fred’s Road is closed to vehicular traffic on the north side of the slough. However, Lassen National Forest has improved the access to the mouth of Pine Creek on the Spalding side just west of the marina. The dirt road was improved, graveled and many turn outs installed. The road leads to a parking area where the Y used to be. The road going upstream from the Y is closed to vehicular traffic including the road to the egg collection facility via the Slough. Not seeing the signs is not an excuse as you can not miss them.
6) NO CHUMMING IS ALLOWED. That means no cans of corn or shrimp being dumped overboard, or anything else that would attract the fish. Attractants are only allowed to be put on bait.
7) “Tree” or “umbrella” rigging. No more than three baits can be used in California off the tree. Many sold with 5 branches. It is illegal in CA to fish with 5 baits off these newer rigs. This might have changed so if you use this stuff, better check first.
8) Children under age 16 are allowed to fish with two poles. Children must be able to do most of the job of fishing before their limit can be obtained. This is not intended to discourage teaching your kid how to fish, but for example we all know that a toddler is not capable of reeling in a fish and doing most of the work by him or herself, the toddlers limit cannot be taken. CDFG wardens know that parents have to teach their kids how to do it but the kid has to be old enough to be making some effort too. IE learning to cast. I have seen kids as young as 4 do a very good job of following verbal instructions. Generally only needing help holding the rod up after several minutes of fighting the fish. Baiting up usually around 9, casting around 7 years old. But, it all depends on how much the kids get to fish over how old they are. Also, check the regulations for the second rod stamp.
Also, when shore fishing with the kids, be sure they are not off playing rather than paying attention to their rods. Parents can get cited for fishing with too many rods if the kids are not within close proximity to their rods.
DFW Wardens can be here in a heartbeat and are here quite often.
Fines can be in the hundreds of dollars. Over possession fines can cost you thousands of dollars. The local fishing community supports ALL the efforts of DFW Wardens, and many of us can reach them instantly. The best thing to do is simply not violate the regulations!!
As of March 2021, the fishing season will end on the last day of February and begin again Memorial Day Weekend. But the lake is not closed to walks, snowshoeing, cross country skiing or snow mobiling. Just don’t have any fishing equipment with you as others may be out watching. Poaching has been a problem in the past and CDFG isn’t too far away.